Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 237 - Croajingolong National Park

Hi Folks, today was a big day for 2 reasons. 1. my travel partner, Cade, left, leaving me alone again. And 2. I actually went camping again.
Today I went to Croajingolong National Park (now called CNP), a huge NP along the eastern coastal part of Australia. When I got to the campground, at Thurra River, there were only about 3 other tents, so I easily picked a spot that I felt was good value, near the beach and the toilet. It felt good to put up the tent, blow up the matress and get out the esky.
Once settled, I went down to the beach, and found it looking fantastic for fishing, so I rushed back and got my gear. On my first cast, I brought in a nice sized salmon, and on my second I caught a little one. (Cade, I just didn't need you around to spoil my catch). Not long after that, the wind started really blowing, and it made it almost impossible to fish.
So, I then headed on to a couple of walks. The first one took me to the biggest sand dunes in Australia, along a 2km walk. The first part of the walk was mapped, but once you hit the dunes, you looked after yourself. And in doing so, I got completed lost, well almost. I was looking for one dune in particular, that backed on to the river, and to get to it, I got so many scratches on my legs and arms, it pretty much dehydrated me. Once I found the river, I decided to follow it home, even though the old walking path along it was no longer there. In doing so, I ended up getting pretty wet, as I had to cross the river a number of times. Oh, and Steve, no snakes this time!!!
After having a beer to hydrate myself, I headed up to the Pt Hicks lighthouse. A lovely 5 km walk along the beach, getting there just as it was closing. Doh!
After that, I cooked dinner, and settled in for the night. Peaceful night.
First cast - a lovely Salmon


Biggest sand-dune in Australia

Pt Hicks Lighthouse



No comments:

Post a Comment