Friday, October 22, 2010

Day 230 - Canberra part 2

Hi Folks, another big day here for me in Canberra. I wont go into a lot of detail today, but here's the jist of what I did today.
I first went to Manuka Oval, that place where they have a couple of AFL footy games each year. A lovely oval, it's a shame we'll never see Collingwood play here.
From there I went to the National Portrait Gallery. This gallery has hundreds of portraits in it, a must see for all those people who come to Canberra. Apart from the usual people being portrayed, like Captain Cook, you could also see portraits of people like Midnight Oil, Glenn McGrath and Angry Anderson.
I then headed up the hill to the old parliment building. This was re-opened a couple of years ago, and is now a museum. You could walk around all parts, such as the senate area, the opposition area, as well as the prime minister's office. It was a very interesting place , knowing you could walk around all parts of it. The funniest thing to me was that there's 2 gardens inside the building, and for some reason, there are lots of weddings there each year.
Of course, once I left the old parliment, it was only a short stroll up to the new one. Much prettier, but you couldn't get in to as much. And it was a shame that I was there on Friday, as those politicians dont work Fridays.
From there I headed to the Lodge, the home that Julia has when she's in town. This place is huge, it's at leave 4 acres, and there's a big fence all the way around. Plus plenty of cameras too.
After that I headed back to my car, to head to the Dinosaur Museum. Unfortunately, like politicans, dinosaurs don't work on Fridays. So I headed up to the Telstra Tower instead, a building on the highest hill in town, where you could see the whole of Canberra. Lovely view, at 860 metres above sea level.
That ended my big day. I headed back to my hotel from there, and proceeding to do my clothes. Tomorrow I head to the coast again, and will catch up with Cade for a week or so. So the fishing competition will start tomorrow.

Ciao
Portrait Gallery


Old Parliment

Parliment


The Lodge



No comments:

Post a Comment