Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 220 - Off to Port Stephens

Hi Gang, lovely day today, I hope yours what the same.

As I found out yesterday, Newcastle is a little on the boring side, so I headed north about 50km to Port Stephens. Now just to let you know, Port Stephens is not a town, as I thought, but a region. And the region is all set up for holidays coming up from Sydney I guess.

Now I hadn't done any surf fishing for ages, so after about an hour of roaming around, trying to find the right beach, I came across an area called Fishermans Bay. With a name like that, I couldn't not go there.

Now it didn't take long for me to catch my first. Unfortunately it was a big piece of seaweed. But not long after that, I caught another piece, and another piece and another. Then something that I saw on the news this morning made me kick myself. With waves of up to 7 metres up on the Gold Coast, we were always going to have issues here, and all the seaweed had been ripped up. I spent about 2 hours there, just hoping something would happen, but no, I only caught seaweed.

From there I drove up to Nelson Bay, the main town of Port Stephens, where I had lunch in a pub on the wharf. I lovely already to go to, if the weather was nice.

On the way back to Newcastle, I headed to the Stockton Beach dunes. Apparently this is the longest "big" sand dunes in the Southern Hemisphere. Oh well, there was lots of sand.

From there I headed in to the cinema to see the movie Buried. Very interesting movie, but only 1 actor, and he was buried the whole time. Wouldn't have had to spend must on the movie I think.

So off to Sydney tomorrow. Going to do a big run around, and do a few things I've never done before. I hope the weather holds out...




1 comment: