Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 188 - Musgrave Island

Hi everyone, I hope you're all well, and that your week went quickly.

For me, I stayed in Agnes Water/1770 today, well actually, I went out on a tour, out to Musgrave Island. And I have to say, this tour fitted me perfectly, you couldn't work a water based tour any better.

So we took off from the marina in the early morning, and headed out, directly east for about 90 minutes, until we got to the island. On the way, we saw a bunch of hunchback whales, slapping themselves around in the water.

The island itself is only about 200 metres across, but has a huge barrier reef lagoon surrounding it, and it wasn't long until me, and about 70 other people were in the water snorkelling away. And what beautiful reef it was. The only reef I've seen on this trip that's been better was out of Port Douglas itself. After about an hour I got out of the water, as it's a little colder down this far south, only 22 degrees in the water.

After a quick lunch, the second part of the trip began. 12 of us were taken out of the reef lagoon, and headed fishing. I mean, can it get any better, fishing and snorkelling the reef on the same day!! And as almost always, I caught the first fish, a strange named fish called a "Hasa". And once that was caught, all sorts of other fish started coming into the boat.

On the way back to land, we got to see dolphins and turtles in the water. What a great day!!!

Anyway, that's most likely the last "reef" tour I do on this holiday. The water's getting colder, and the reef is starting to thin out a bit.

Catch you soon!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment