Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 180 - From Mission Beach to Charters Towers

Hi Everyone,

After a lovely day yesterday, I thought I'd try and have the same today. The first thing I did after leaving, was head to a nearby walk, called Lacey Creek walk, where I got to walk through lovely rainforests. The main reason for this walk was to see Cassawaries, but like my luck this year, I didn't see one. I did see a lot of bird poo though, in an area set up for Cassawaries, but no birds themselves.

From there I headed back south, until I got to the Murray River. No, not the same one as in Victoria, but a river with the same name. And because I saw it there, I felt I had to go see the waterfalls for the river. And it was a lovely waterfall, very peaceful and tranquil.

After relaxing a bit there, I headed in to Charters Towers, via Townsville (again), and looked around the town. It's an amazing town, hardly any of the buildings have been changed in a hundred years. And at the top end of town is a hill, which used to be mined for gold. At the top of the hill, every night, a short movie is played, called Ghosts of Gold, which describes the history of the town. Very interesting.

Now, after 1 day in-land, it's time to head back to the water. I'll be getting close to Airlie Beach again by tomorrow's end.

Enjoy your day.

Murray River Falls


Charters Towers - WW2 Bunker


1 comment:

  1. Come on mate, you saw a cassowary near the ferry remember... got a picture of it too...lol.

    Big game tomorrow mate. Dids, Johno and Leroy in...Fraser, Goldy and McCarthy out.
    Two words for you mate..Go Pies!

    ReplyDelete