Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 184 - Rockhampton...the tropic of capricorn

Ok, to start the day off, I'm just going to state three numbers, 13, 9 and 6. I'll get into that a little later.

So I left Mackay this morning, with raining cleaning both my car and the motel, and headed south, aiming towards Rockhampton. This was going to be a 4 hour drive, with not much in between, and it ended up that way.

Just before Rockhampton, I took a turn off, and headed towards the Capricorn Caves, probably the biggest tourist attraction of the area. Have I told you all how many cave tours I've done on this trip, heaps, but I still love them.

At the start of the tour, our tour guide was warning us about snakes in the area, and even before we got into the cave, we had one on the side of the path. Not sure what it was, or whether it was real or not (apparently her workmates play jokes), this snake was about 2 metres away from us, and it took a rock thrown at it to prove it was real. What we found out later, was that it was most likely a taipan as well. Now as for 13, 9 and 6. I've seen 13 snakes on this trip, 9 by car, and 6 I've run over.

Anyway, the cave trip was really nice, and a bit weird. Apparently 20 weddings are held in this cave every year. Who would do that.....I know I would!!!

From there, I headed into Rockhampton, and from there went for a walk. About 2 kms from my caravan park is the local zoo, and I headed up there for a look. OK, so the country zoos probably don't have much money, so it wasn't too fancy, but I still got to see lots of different animals, including Dingoes and Chimpanzees.

I'm now planning my next few days, and I think I'll have 2 more reef dives this week. One at Great Keppel, and one at a place called 1770. Should be fun!!

Here snake!!


Cave church??

A dingo took my baby





1 comment:

  1. Hey mate, footy update. Swanny took out 2 awards last night - 1. Herald Sun player of the year and 2. The MVP award for best player as voted by all the players of the AFL.

    Go Pies!

    ReplyDelete