Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 181 - Barra!!!

Finally, I've caught a barra. After about 10 different days of attempted barra fishing, I've finally got one. And what a day. But let me go back a bit.

This morning I was in Charters Towers, and I happened to have a chat with a "grey nomad" about Barra fishing, and he gave me this great advise. Apparently yesterday he'd been fishing on the Ross River, just out of Townsville and happened to get on to a few, and he gave me the details. Not 2 hours later, there I am, fishing on the river, avoiding both crocodiles and ross river fever, and I hook up!!

As you can see from the picture above, it's a beauty, if a little on the small size. Sorry Steve, I didn't break your 86cm fish, mine was more like 45cm. But it was still a lovely fish, especially since I'd been wanting one for so long.

Once I'd got past the success, I left Townsville (for the 4th time), and headed south, until I got to the town of Bowen. Now, I'd never heard of this place before, but apparently it's a trendy place to go to, there's lots of resorts and caravan parks right on the beach, including a nudist beach, and snorkelling the reef, right off the beach. I did the later, and had a little snorkel off Horseshoe Bay, but unfortunately the weather was a little rough, and visibility wasn't that good.

So I'm off to Mackay tomorrow, and hope to find a motel with a big screen TV to watch the Pies game. Go Pies!!



Oh, for those that read past the pictures, I did lie a little about today's fishing. I did catch a Barra, actually 6 of them, but I was in a Barra Farm, just like the Trout Farms back in Vic. As I'm moving out of Barra territory, I felt the need to catch one, since I'd tried so long in difficult circumstances.
Go Pies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment