Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 148 - Into Litchfield National Park

Hi All, I hope you are well, and your weekend was good. As for me, it gave me a chance to get out of Darwin today, and head towards Litchfield National Park, which is about 90 minutes out of Darwin. Just on a side note: for a town of 100,000 people, it takes ages to drive out of town, about 30 minutes. Crazy.
So Litchfield. NP of waterfalls and waterholes. A great place to go when the day is hot, as in every day here in the top end. But the first place I stopped once I got into the NP was an area that has hundreds of termite mounds. See Gareth, I finally got a photo with them. There are two main types here, the traditional rounded in body ones, and the flat, I'll only face north and south ones. Very interesting.
From there I headed to my first watering hole, the Florence Falls. Now I just have to say now, each waterfall area has a limited number of car parks, and they have signs all over the place saying "If full, try somewhere else", and most of the areas were full. When I got down to Florence Falls, lots of people were swimming, but I hadn't brought my gear from the car, so I just had to watch them, and the barramundi swim.
I then headed to Buley Rockhole, a lovely chain of little rockpools, where I swam and relaxed.
From there I did a number of other little walks and swims, ending up at the main waterfall, Wangi Falls. Absolutely hundreds of people there, and I did feel a little nervous about swimming/leaving my keys on the grass, but the idea of snorkelling got me too excited. To swim around with Barramundi, albeit little ones was really exciting.
On my way back to Darwin, I headed to Berri Springs, another swimming spot.
Once back in Darwin, I caught up with Matt and Chelsea, down at the Mindil Sunset Market. Lots of fun and relaxation there, and also night to catch up with good friends. Which is what I'll be doing tomorrow, at the Darwin Cup.
Termite Mound


Florence Falls

Buley Rockhole



1 comment:

  1. Hi Daf
    Darwin's changed alot since our time there - I knew of the wave pool but I've never seen it - funny to think you are swimming around waterfalls in the Top End while we're down on the river in Bangkok - enjoy the Darwin Cup - something else I never actually did.
    S
    XX

    ReplyDelete