Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 154 - Yee Ha, it's Rodeo time

Hi Y'all, it's Rodeo time, so strap on ye're chaps, grab your horse and get moving.

Well, almost. So in my travels there's been times when I wish I had've done a bit of research. This is one of them. Yesterday I got told that there was a rodeo on town in Mt Isa, but I don't think I fully understood this one. Apparently this one is the biggest rodeo in the southern hemesphere.

So I drove to Mt Isa, with a bit of nerves, not sure what I was expecting. And after spending time finding the tourist centre and accommodation, I headed in to the rodeo. My first feeling of the place was a small Royal Melbourne Show, with rides at one end, music stands at the other, and show bags being sold. The next thing I noticed was that everyone, except me, was wearing cowboy hats. Very attractive.

So I spent about 4 hours at the rodeo, and saw lots of different activities, like riding bulls and horses, chasing calves and sheep with lasoos, and sprints. Lots of fun, and interesting, in that all the events were done by both men and women. I even managed to see one of the "clowns" get run over by a bull, nothing too bad, but it did stop the activities for a few minutes.

After leaving the rodeo, I headed to the pub, to spend the next 4 hours watching first the rugby union, and the the Collingwood/Geelong game. Both exciting games, but I did end up a little drunk. And what a great result, Pies on top of the ladder, and most likely to stay that way now.

G O P I E S !!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment