Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 150 - Swimming in Mataranka

So it was time to leave Darwin, and thanks to finishing up early (9pm) last night, I didn't wake up with a hangover. Which was good, as I had a 430km drive to get to Mataranka to do. On the way, I stopped back in a Katherine for lunch, and decided it's still not a very pretty town, but on a good note, it has cheap fuel.
So I'm now in Mataranka, known for it's hot springs, where young and old people alike can get there bathers on, and swim around in these natural pools.
My first spring I went to was bitter springs, which the locals actually think was better than the Mataranka one, mainly for the lack of people going to it. It was a lovely little running pool/stream, and I regret no bringing my goggles, as the water was the clearest water I think I've ever seen.
After swimming/relaxing there for half an hour, I headed to the Mataranka thermal springs, and when I got there I understood the local's comments. Tooooo many people. But still, lovely water, a nice way to while away the afternoon.
But alas, you know me, and I can't sit still for too long. After consulting with the locals, they gave me some locations for some Barra fishing, with only a small chance of a croc. So I grabbed the rod, and the fishing lures Lance gave me, and headed to Waterhouse River. It's quite an interesting experience, reading the security signs, saying "Crocodiles shouldn't be here, but sometimes are". So keeping my feet away from the water's edge, and always looking around, I didn't get eaten, nor did I see one. In fact, the only thing I saw was archer fish, no Barra's to be found. But I'm in the motion now, fishing for Barra on my own.
Anyway, I'm in a lovely, and cheap motel in town, called Territory Manor. Lovely dinner, they have a nightly Cane Toad hunt, and they feed Barra everyone morning before you leave.
Bitter Springs


Mataranka Thermal Springs


No comments:

Post a Comment