Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 164 - Ai Ai Captain......Cook



Hi all, I hope you're all well. Today I drove to Cooktown, a lovely 3 hour drive. And an interesting drive. After coming into Rainforest territory 2 days ago, I drove out of it today. Apparently the main road to Cooktown doesn't involve staying in the mountains/near the coast.

Anyway, I'm now in Cooktown, the birthplace of English Australia. This is where Captain Cook found Australia, after being stuck in the reefs for 50 odd days.

So of course I was going to go to the Captain Cook Museum. But funnily enough, only 2 of the rooms (of about 20 in total) were based on Cook himself, which was dissappointing. And they were set up showiing pieces of the Endeavour that were found some years ago.

After going to the museum, I did a walk around town, where I saw a statue of Mr Cook. I also bumped into a few people who "knew a thing or two" about fishing in town, telling me 2 Barra were caught off the Wharf yesterday.

So I headed to the wharf, with bait and live-bait lures in hand, with the hopes of catching a big fish. If you look at the picture below, you'll see the beauty I caught. OK, so all I caught was a bait-fish, but it was lovely.

I'm catching up with Lance, Flo and Dan tomorrow, but to get there I'm taking a pretty rough road, having to drive through a river. Hopefully you'll read my adventures tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment