Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 157 - And then there was Normanton

Good evening/morning,

Another day in paradise for some, another day at work for others. So today I left the roadhouse, having stayed in another shipping container. I do have to mention one story though from last night. So the room didn't have a bathroom, so I had to go to the public bathroom, but alas, at about 10pm, the weather turned really stormy, so I had to run to the bathroom. And that's when I found out how slippery those Cane Toads are on bare feet. The funny thing about it was, the toads where trying to get out of the rain as well.

Anyway, I headed to Normanton today, and funny, this little town of about 1000 people sits on the Norman river. Who is the Norman person? So about 2/3's of the way there, a big ute overtook me, with 2 dogs in the back, which is fine, as I'm not really into driving fast. About 3 minutes later, I see 4 little pigs running across the road, and the ute pulls up fast, the driver gets out, and lets the dogs out for a run. With 30 seconds, one of the dogs brought back a pig in it's mouth. I guess that's what country boys find fun. At least he didn't have to pay for dinner.

So what is Normanton famous for? Well, probably the biggest thing is crocodiles. They've got the record for the largest croc ever caught/killed. At 8.6 metres long, it's huge and to celebrate, they have a life-size statue of it in town. Huge!

I spot to a few locals and they advised me of where/when to fish, in the evening off the bridge, but it didn't really work for me. I did catch a catfish, and saw a few tom tom fish, but still am yet to hook of a barra. Maybe it was not meant to me.

Anyway, one final barra attempt tomorrow, on a fishing charter, but after investigation, I think this charter will focus more on sharks and salmon.




2 comments:

  1. 2 funny daf! did you kill the cane toad? and guess what...i'm an ex norman person! maiden name is norman....don't worry they are all mental ;) norman river...how interesting, might have to check it out one day. o-oh, just read the reason why normanton is famous..crocs..wont' be going there now (scare-dy cat savic!). good luck with the fishing tomorrow, hope you catch a big-un. don't forget to come back in sept, think the pies are going to do rather well :D. tak care, miss you, see you soon lovey. jac xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't kill the cane toad, lucky thing. Oh, and fishing was no good today, but I'll try again tomorrow, before I head to Port Douglas.

    Hopefully see you in Sept!!!!

    ReplyDelete