Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 155 - Mt Isa, part 2

OK, for starters, I didn't wake up feeling too bad, but then again, I didn't feel that great either. Once I managed to get myself out of my room, right on 10am, which is unlike me, I went for a walk to clear myself up. I found a place to have breaky, which was really full, and it wasn't long before I was chatting away with a girl, who was part of one of the bands that played in town last night. It was lovely to have this chat, and sad when all her friends turned up.

Anyway, with a full stomach, and feeling much better, I headed in to town and went to the Underground Hospital. OK, in WW11 the people of Mt Isa decided they needed a place to go to if the Japanese attacked here (they never did). So the local miners spent a few weeks digging out a lovely tunnel where the hospital could go to. OK, this is where it goes bad. I went to take photos, and my camera died, and I couldn't fix it.

So I headed off to Harvey Norman, and bought a new one. Ok, it was labelled as $329, for a 12 megapixel camera, but I bargained them down to $285. But when I paid, they only asked for $185. As I said BARGAIN!!!

So with new camera in hand, I headed to the Fossil Centre, to few lots of fossils that have been found in the area. Apparently about 200 new/old animals have been found in this area.

From there I headed to Lake Moondarra, in the search of a Barra. But to no avail, the lake wasn't very nice and I think the fish thought the same thing.

So now, I'm planning for the next week ahead. I don't think I'll be in network range for the next week, as I head up to the Gulf of Carpentaria. I'm very much looking forward to the town of Karumba, just because it's name reminds me of the Simpsons.

Catch you soon.




2 comments:

  1. Did you explain in the post why you took a picture of a lizard? Was it in the hospital too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nar, the lizard was in the fossil centre. It's a replica of what that old extinct lizard would look like.

    ReplyDelete