Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 158 - Ai Karumba!!!

Hi everyone, it was a lovely day for me today. Apart from the wind being really blowy, it was almost perfect weather. Also, I was only driving about 70km to get to Karumba. Does everyone think of the Simpons when they read that town name?

So, Karumba, at the very edge of the Gulf of Carpentaria. A huge town of about 500 people. And about 500 people just in my caravan park, one of about 10 in town. My goal of Karumba was to go fishing, and that's what I did, on a charter boat. And that this moment, I have to state the obvious, I'm not going to catch a Barramundi, here or anywhere, it's just not meant to happen.

Anyway, the charter trip was nice, the boat was roomy, there was hardly any swell, but unfortunately, there's was also no fish. For the whole afternoon, all I caught was a Jewel fish, and a toadie. Yep, even up here, toadies get around. The other 9 people on the boat didn't do any better, with about 8 catfish being caught. The only keepable fish for the day was a King Salmon.

Anyway, the other thing I did today was sit on the beach at sunset. This has to be one of the top 5 places in Australia to watch it. So much so, one of the pubs here is called the "Sunset tavern", oh, and my caravan park I'm in is also called the Sunset Caravan Park.

So tomorrow, I head back inland, on my way to Port Douglas and beyond.

Until nex time......Go Pies!!

Jewel Fish




No comments:

Post a Comment