Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 087 & 088 - Getting off the Nullarbor

Day 087 - Caiguna
So today really involved just lots of driving. Driving on straight roads. Driving and missing Emus. That's right, another emu, but I missed this one, just. And it's a bit hard, when you're travelling at 110km/h. And the amount of Wedgetail Eagles was great today, at least they know to get out of the way early.

So, most of today involved driving to golf holes. I drove about 370km, and played 4 holes of golf. I've finished my first 9, with a score of 57, which I don't think is too bad, considering the quality and ease of the holes.

Apart from that, I took my car through some lovely wet dirt roads again, driving to Cocklebiddy Caves. It's amazing that you can turn your steering wheel right around, but you don't move that way. Anyway, the Cocklebiddy Caves are a huge cave system, mainly filled with water where in the past, people used to take scuba diving gear to get through. Unfortunately the cave is now closed, due to health risks, plus I don't have that gear anyway.

Alright, so I should be out of the Nullarbor plain by tomorrow night. It'll be strange going to a town that actually has people in it, all 1500 of them.





Day 088 - Getting to Norseman
Hi all, as you can tell, no internet action yesterday, so 2 days worth of information into 1 record.
So today I finally made it out of the nullarbor drive, ending up in the town of Norseman, with 1500 people in it. Before I got here, I had 2 drive 400km, and do 4 more golf holes. With only 3 more holes to play now, I'll have my golf certificate by this time tomorrow.
Nothing really of note to tell today. Just a long boring road. I did have to drive Australia's longest piece of straight road, all 90 miles of it. Very exciting.
When I checked in to my hotel this evening, I was advised to move my car into the lock up area out back, cause "the locals" are renowned for braking windows. Hopefully all is OK tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment