Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 096 - Climbing trees to Margaret River

Hi All, I just want to say, I've had a big and enjoyable day. Firstly, it was a 370km + trip today, from Albany to Margaret River, and for starters, the weather was good, I actually had sunshine for most of the day.

So I've left Albany. It was going to be a big day, as I'd found a few things to do along the way. My first port of call was a town called Denmark, and after popping in to the tourist centre, I had a few more things on my list to do. Lets just say I left Albany at 9, and didn't make MR before sunset.

On my way through, I stopped off at Green Pools and Elephant Rocks, a lovely beach side area, which included a small way. It was so lovely there, I immediately regretted not staying around for a night. I'm sure I would have seen lots of fish if I had've gone snorkelling, if though a guy did get bitten by a WP shark in the same area a few days ago.

Anyway, I then headed to the Tree Top Walk, a setup very like what I did in the Otways at the start of this trip. Apparently this was the first TTW in Australia, and you can tell. Although beautiful, the walk was very moving, I couldn't walk on without holding onto the side.

From there I went to the Gloucester Tree, and huge 61 metre tree that you can climb. Probably scarier than climbing Ayers Rock for me, there's not safety measures climbing up and down the tree, just a metal pole every 40 cms to grab/step on. I made it to the top, but I have to admit, I was close to turning back. The climb down was harder, my nerves were shaking like crazy.

When I got down from there, I met a couple who'd just been to the bicentennial tree, just the same as the one I'd climbed by 13 metres higher. I went there, but didn't climb that, I just spent time talking/laughing with a guy who was waiting for his wife to finish climbing it.

So I then drove the rest of the way, in darkness, to get to Margaret River. I'm in a hostel, and for some reason, everyone went to their bedrooms at about 7:30. So here I am, sitting in the living area, by myself, organising tomorrow's events.






No comments:

Post a Comment