Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 111 - And now I'm in Carnarvon

So, last night wasn't great. I think I mentioned that I cut my leg on the huge snapper that I caught yesterday. Well, it caused me to feel severe pain (8 out of 10) in my knee, to the point that I didn't really sleep all night. I found it hard to walk on it, and also to move it at all. Strange, but I don't think that snapper are poisonous.

Anyway, I'm almost back to normal now. I guess lying down all night, even though I didn't sleep, helps it a little, I'd rate it at about 4 from 10 now.

So, up early in the morning to go see the Monkey Mia dolphins again, and they didn't dissappoint. The weather did, as it was freezing this morning. But we got to see a number of dolphins, once again, up and personal. I wonder whether they're actually trained to do this, like what you'd get at Seaworld.

Anyway, I limped out of Monkey Mia, and have driven to Carnarvon. In between I stopped in at Eagle Bluff, a lovely cliff face into Shark Bay, and then to Shell Beach. Now shell beach is interesting. The beach is full of cockle shells, apparently 10 metres deep. There's all very small shells, and there's no sand at all, so I wonder how many cockles over how many years died here. Billions!!

The rest of my drive to Carnarvon was pretty uninteresting, except for all the animals beside the road. I guess in this neck of the woods, fences arent necessary, I saw so many sheep, cows and goats standing beside the road. No emus though.

So I'm now in Carnarvon, and am once again, staying in a ship crate, like I did in William Creek. At least this one is all decked out. I've already organised which pub I'll stay at tomorrow night, so that I can watch the Pies in comfort.

Anyway, I'll do a bit of a town run-around tomorrow, and let you know what I find.







4 comments:

  1. I don't think it's that snapper are poisonous - it's just not that good to have sharp, dirty things - like snapper spines - stuck into your skin. Probably a mild infection from the bacteria on the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, keep an eye on it daf, sounds nasty. so glad you enjoyed monkey mia..it's probably a lot more commercial these days, but still pretty special i'm sure. happy travels & go pies! jac x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ladies,

    Glad to hear from you all. Good notes. 1. Knee is feeling good, must have been a small poison. 2. Pies have won. Again. Go Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete