Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 106 - Kalbarri

Firstly, there you go Drew. At the bottom of this entry, you'll see a photo of the fingermark bream I caught. But enough about that now, I'll go in to more detail later.

So, I left Geraldton today. And I was sort of happy about it. After spending 2 nights in a cheap hotel, where my room was positioned right next to the air-conditioning unit for the whole hotel that ran 24 hours a day, it was nice to get some pace and quiet.

It was only about a 150km drive today, but on the way I stopped at a few places. Firstly, Pink Lake. A lake that was called by this name because of all the bacteria and fungus and all that stuff that turns the water pink. Ok, so it was a 30 second interest, but you find what you can.

After that I stopped at the small town of Port Gregory. Now I didn't know anything about this town before getting there, and the town itself wasn't much, but the waterfront was fantastic. With a reef about 20 metres out stopping all the waves coming in, it was stunningly beautiful, and you could see lots and lots of fishies. Stupid me, in hindsight, should have 1. taken photos and 2. jumped in the water.

From there I headed to Kilbarri, and small town of 2,000 people, but a wonderful town none-the-less. It looks like there's more room for tourists than there is locals. I booked into a resort, to make up for the last 2 nights, and found it fantastic. At $80 a night, and there's 2 pools and a spa, tennis courts etc etc, it's a lovely place. I'll take photos tomorrow to hold the memory.

Now I'd been given advise on both snorkelling and fishing locations, but with the swell up, I had to reside to the latter. Now in Kalbarri, there's a river that opens out to the ocean, and the river mouth was the go. In two hours fishing, I caught 3 bream, and 2 fingermark bream, and have been given some advise on where/what to do tomorrow, so if my national park walks get done early, I'll be there fishing tomorrow. Apparently it's a good place for Mullaway and Tailor.







No comments:

Post a Comment