Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Days 93 + 94 - Hyden to Albany

Day 093 - Wave Rock
Hi Everyone, hope you are all doing well, and are nice and relaxed. I have a slight complaint to make. I'm on holidays, but so many other holidayers get up early to leave, and in the process, wake everyone up. I was up at 6am this morning, thanks to my neighbours. Do you call that holiday hours???


So today I headed to the town of Hyden, to see the Wave Rock. If you don't know that that is, it's a rock face, about 7 metres high, and 110 metres long, that's in the shape of a big wave. I'd seen it in my researching, and had to come here. Apart from the fact there's really nothing else here, the rock is quite nice. And everyone who comes here has a photo of themselves doing a bit of surfing.

I also did a few other walks around here, including Hippo's Yawn, Gnamma Hole, Mulka's Cave and The Humps. Lots of little walks that made the day worthwhile.

I'm now staying in the caravan park here, in a room attached to the general bathroom building. Luckily there's not too many people here, otherwise I'd be hearing people go to the toilet all night.

Oh, and I went to the local hotel for dinner, and I had to cook my own meat, what the??
off to Albany tomorrow to try catching a huge salmon.







Day 094 - And now I'm in Albany
So another day that starts with a little drive, this time I only had to drive 350km. And for something different, I had lots of curves and ups and downs to keep me interested, as I went through a number of hills.
So when I got to Albany, I felt the same feeling as when I was in Esperance, a lovely town to be in. And I don't think I've been dissappointed. I did a run around today, trying to see a number of sites. I started with Amity, an old ship that has been done up for tourism. It was great to walk in and around, see how the old and shorter people used to live (I kept banging my head).
From there I went to Mt Clarence, a small hill in the middle of town, where I could see the views. Like Esperance, Albany is surrounded by lots of islands, but is in itself a bayside town.
After that I went to the Princess Royal Fortress, where Albany was set up for WW 2. lots of old armaments and tunnels still there. very nice.
I also went to see the Dog Rock, funnily enough, a rock that looks like a dog. Strange, all the shops around this rock are named with "dog dock" as there prefix, as well as the motel, the cars that drive around there etc. Very weird.
I also went to see a couple of beaches, the most impressive was Emu Point. Here the ocean flows into a small bay, where the opening to the bay is only about 50 metres across, whilst the bay itself it quite large. I'm sure there'd be fish there.

Speaking of fish, I'm hoping to go fishing tomorrow, for the big aussie salmon. I've done the research, just hope the weather clears up.

Catch you tomorrow.

2 comments: