Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 108 - And now I'm almost to the Dolphins

So today I headed towards the dolphins of Monkey Mia, but didn't quite get there, as planned. I'm now in the main town of the area, Denham, and will hopefully see lots of dolphins tomorrow morning.

Anyway, I left Kalbarri, after seeing the Pelican Feeding session there. Sadly, it was nothing like the one on Kangaroo Island, only 3 pelicans turned up today.

For the first 2/3's of the 375kms today, there wasn't much to see, but as soon as I turned into Shark Bay, the tourist locations started turning up. The first one I went to was Hamelin Pool. Now this for me was the first site of shark bay, and after seeing surf and swell for the last few weeks, it was nice to see absolutely flat water, for miles and miles around. Now Hamelin Pool is famous for 2 reasons. Firstly, the depth of the sea-shells around, they've dug caves in this stuff. Secondly, and more importantly are the Stromatolites, rocks in the ocean that apparently are the oldest rocks on record. It was lovely to see, and you could almost play with the fish in the water.

From there, I headed to Ocean Park, an aquarium in the area with a difference. There's no tunnels under the water, and there's no conveyor belts to walk on, but what they do have is a guided tour, where they tell you about all the different fish, and in the process feed them. My first fish was a water snake, which the instructor just picked up, venomous as it was. It ended with him pointing out Stonefish, and then feeding sharks by hand. It was lots of fun, and very instructive, right up my alley.

So now I'm in Denham, about 25 km south of Monkey Mia. It'll be an early rise tomorrow, to see the dolphin feeding at 7:30, and from there, I hope to see some Manta Rays, Dugongs, Sharks, all in the process of going snorkelling.

Wish me luck (and Nick, thanks for the location advise, hopefully I find it!!)





No comments:

Post a Comment