Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 40 to 42 - Kanga 2 and 3 to Adelaide

Hi Everyone, firstly, I'd just like to say thanks to all those people that sent me emails, facebook msgs, sms's and phone msgs for my birthday (yesterday). I actually got a big tear in my eye when I got back into an area of Kanga island where I got phone reception.

So yes, I'm a year older, 39, although the lady that ran the hostel I was in last night said I only looked 30.

So what have I been up to. Lots. Kathleen, bless her, gave me lots of advice on what to do, and where to go on Kangaroo Island, and was concerned that I only gave myself 3 days to do it in. Anyway, I got through it all, with time to spare. Here's a brief summary of what I got up to on days 2 and 3.

Day 2
  • Emu Bay - a nice little beach.
  • Stokes Bay - another nice little beach, where you had to walk through a little rock cave to get there.
  • Snelling Beach - another lovely little beach, but for some reason, there was no one there. At this point I need to tell you that most of the roads around KI are dirt, and very rough at times.
  • Constitution Hill - Kath, I didn't find it, I looked everywhere, but my eyes weren't working well.
  • Cape Borda - a lighthouse at the very west side of of the isle. When I got there, there was no one to take my money, so I just walked around on a freeby.
  • Admirals Arch - a lovely rock formation, with hundreds of NZ seals living on it. One of the big tourist spots.
  • Remarkable Rocks - another rock formation, no seals this time, but stunning to look at/walk around.
  • Snake Lagoon - an area that the rangers told me to go to to find platypus. Unfortunately no go there. bea

So a pretty busy day.

Day 3

Day 3 was a little bit more relaxed, hey it was my birthday.

  • Seal Bay - probably the highlight for everyone going to KI, hundreds of Seal Lions, where we could walk up to them (about 5 metres), and see how they live. There's every a whale (bones) there.
  • Vivonne Bay - a lovely bay, apparently with one of the nicest beaches in Australia. It had a lovely jetty on it, where I could see really far under water, and could see hundreds of fish. I really wanted to snorkel there, but since the Seal Tour Guide advised me earlier about all the White Pointers in the area, I was too scared to go into the water.
  • Little Sahara - large sand dunes in the middle of the isle. Lots of fun climbing up, and then running/sliding down.

I managed to get to my hostel by 3pm, so went for a little birthday fish. Managed to catch a whiting, a wrasse and a leatherjacket, and go through a bag of bait in about 1 hour.

Ok, so I got off the isle this morning, and headed to Adelaide. After doing so much driving in the last 6 weeks, it was quite strange to be back in population. And I went to the football to see Carlton play the Crows, and yes, I supported the Blues. Go Blues!!

Ok, so no pictures today, I figure there's so much writing anyway. Catch you soon.

Love you all
Dafydd

1 comment:

  1. Aww - you missed out big time at Cape Borda.
    Our guide was a real character and one of the highlights of our trip.

    - Andrea

    ReplyDelete