Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 032 - Mt Gambier and all it's holes

Hi All, well a busy day has been had, unlike the few days before hand. From the moment I got up, I was pretty much flat out, until about 9:00pm tonite. The reason is that there's plenty of things in Mt Gambier that I wanted to go see, even though I'd been here before.
Probably the most important tourist site is the Blue Lake, and old volcano that is filled with water, that is a magical blue colour. It's about an hour walk around it, but well worth it.
From there I went to Valley Lake, another valcano lake, which is right beside Blue Lake. On the top of that is the centenary tower, a small tower at the very top of the volcano.
That made it to about lunch time, so I went to an Indian restaurant that I'd spotted the night before. It was very funny being the only customer, but the food was great, a welcome change to Quarter Pounders and Chicken Parmas for lunch.
From there I went to the Umpherston Sinkhole, a large hole/save created by the slow removal of limestone. I also went to the Engelbrecht Cave, another limestone cave, this one that allows people to go scuba divings for hundreds of metres under ground. Unfortunately, for me, it was just a walk through the cave system.
I then went to the Lady Nelson Park, a small informational centre advising people of what's happened in the region over the last few thousand years. This is right next door to the tourist information centre, but was probably the least interesting thing of the day, as it was pretty old and worn down.
Finally, on the tourist front, I went to another cave, called the Cave Gardens, a hole right in the middle of town.

After coming back to the hotel for an hours rest, I then went out to see the movie "Clash of the Titans". Unfortunately not in 3D, and it wasn't actually the greatest movie anyway. The 1981 version was much better I think.

Anyway, it's time for me to go to bed, to watch a bit of Saving Private Ryan. Tomorrow I head off to Coonawarra, so my breathalyser will be coming out to play me thinks.
Until next time, happy days!!!
Blue Lake

Centenary Tower

Engelbrecht Cave

No comments:

Post a Comment