Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Days 56 - 60 - Where have I been?

OK, so I've finally found the outback, and all the joys you can find in it. Namely, no mobile phone or internet connection. Therefore, I've put the last 5 days worth of "doings" into this blog. Therefore, settle yourself in for a long read, maybe get a coffee/tea first, and read away.


Day 056
Wow, it's finally happened. After 56 days, I've finally put myself into a location where neither my mobile phone, or my internet connection actually work. And I feel so lonely. Not really, but it is a little strange.
So I'm in the Flinders Ranges proper today. I'm staying in the YHA right underneath the Wilpena Pound mountains, which I'll climb tomorrow. But for today, I've had a reasonably relaxing day. I did manage to do one walk/climb, suggested by the YHA themselves. It was about 5km although by my little mistake in getting lost, it actually became about 6km. The walk took me around the YHA area itself, and gave me wonderful views of the of Wilpena itself.
So, enough said today. Hopefully the big climb will go well tomorrow, and also the Pies beat the Blues.


Day 057 - Wilpena Pound - well almost
So, another day in the office. Not really. So today was going to be one of those days that friends told me to do. Go climb St Marys Peak on the Wilpena Pound, to see the sites. So I headed off early, under advisement, as it'd be a big day. No problem, I was walking by 9am. After 1 hour, I'd done 4.4km, and it was going really easy. Stupid me, I decided to have a break. As soon as I started, I had an uphill climb of about 1km, which took me longer than the 4.4km I'd just done. Seriously, it was at about an angle of 45 degrees.
Anyway, I get to the top of the climb, some may call saddle, and I lose the walking track. But I know which way to go, and head off. Not long after, I see a snake in front of me, but luckily, it's more scared of me, than I am of it. Just.
I find the track about 500m later, and continue up. But for the next kilometre, the path signs pop in and out. I get to a spot where I feel like I need a rope to climb up, seriously, this stuff is steep, so I decide to call it quits. I managed to see what I needed to see, but just like the back wall on Mt Buffalo, I feel I haven't fully achieved what I set out to do. So on my way back, I bump into a few people, where were they when I was climbing up, and the let me know that I only got lost by about 10 metres. Oh well, not to be.
So I get back to my accomodation, just in time to see the footy, what a wonderful game, watching it on a 34cm tv. but who cares. we beat the blues (can someone send on my emotions to Dean Puhalovich on this game).


Day 058 - Maree - Lake Eyre

So I left the Flinders Ranges, after spending two lovely days there. It was actually sad to leave the place, a lovely outback park, with lots of walks and wildlife to see, including the locusts.
So today was one of my big goals of my trip. To go to Lake Eyre. On the way there, I travelled some lovely roads, until they took me to a pub called the Prairie Hotel. It's a fancy hotel in the middle of no-where, they cook different food, such as emu, crocodile and kangaroo. Unfortunately I was there at the wrong time, otherwise I'd have had a lovely lunch.
So I got to Marree, the town closest to Lake Eyre, and after getting some directions, I drove an extra 100km on dirt/sand to get to see the Lake. Ok, so lake is probably not the right word, as there's no water there, but for miles and miles, beyond my vision, there was sand and salt (yes, I tested it).
After getting back to town, I booked in for a flight over the lake, and will be up early morning (6:30), to go over the lake, including some watery bits.
Hopefully it's lovely to see from the sky too.


Day 059 - Lake Eyre to William Creek

So, probably the biggest day so far. Getting up at 6am for a 6:30am flight, I was up in a little 6 seater plane heading for Lake Eyre before I was really awake. And I have to say, amazing. This lake is so large (apparently 6th in the world), and we only skimmed a small portion of it. The flight was for 90 minutes, and I loved every bit of it. Going in a small plane, at sunrise, can't get better than that.
Afer the flight, I headed out, to see the sites, and end of at William Creek. A town that consists of a pub, a camping ground, and an air flight service for people wanting little flights. But I digress.
In between Marree and William Creek, I saw a few things along the way.
1. Mutonia - a field containing strange artwork, such as two planes joined together, and a huge dog.

2. Lake Eyre South - a place where you can actaully walk/drive to the water in the lake.

3 Blanche Cup and the bubbler - two water formations, little water pools that never run out.

4. Coward Springs - an area where people can camp, also famous for the native spa pools. Mmmm it was time for a dip anyway.

5. My first dingo - as I was crossing a creek, there he was, and not scared or intimidating at all.
So I'm now in William Creek, that huge town. I had an emu pie for afternoon tea, and a lovely parma (what else) for dinner.

Everything costs more out in the outback though. It's 1.89 a litre here. Will I get to $2??


Day 060 - William Creek to Marla (via Oodnadatta)

Not much to talk about today. The drive from WC to M was just over 400km, and all of it dirt roads. It took me about 6 hours to do it, as I feel I've learnt a few things, and driving at 120km/h is no good on these roads, stick to 80 and your safe.

On the way to Marla, I had lunch in Oodnadatta. Not much of a town really, lots of derilict houses, and 1 big pink roadhouse.

Anyway, by this time tomorrow, I hope to have seen the sunset at Ayers Rock. My number 1 goal is less that 24 hours away.

Wilpena Pound

Dafydd at Lake Eyre

No comments:

Post a Comment