Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 078 - Wonderful Wet Whyalla

Hi Everyone,

Just for a change, and making up for such a lovely day yesterday, it decided to rain the whole day today. That of course makes some things hard to get up to, but I made do.

I left Arno Bay, and backtracked back to Whyalla, apparently SA's second biggest town, with about 22,000 people. So I went back to the lovely visitors centre, which I'd visited 2 days earlier, and went to the Maritime Museum. This involved a 1 hour tour through the HMS Whyalla (or Whaler depending on where you come from), an old WW2 boat that was used for minesweeping. It was very interesting to see how the old sailors lived back in the day, all cramped up together and segregated depending on rank.

After that I just drove around a bit, as most of the touristy sites failed due to weather. I saw a statue of a dog, based on the Lawson writer, as well as going to the local lookout region.

I was going to go to the local cinema, but for some reason it's closed on Sundays (what the???).

anyway, as the weathers not meant to improve, I'll leave here and head to Port Lincoln tomorrow, where I am to go swimming with Tuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment