Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 084 and 085 - into the Nullarbor

Hi Everyone, sorry about yesterday. For some reason, there's limited internet coverage in the Nullarbor.

Day 084 - Nundroo
So, I'm back in the outback again. No mobile, not internet. So hopefully this comes through OK, whenever I get back to contact-land.

Another day of poor weather. I left Ceduna, and headed west, onto the Nullabor. 80km down the line, I have my first stop, Penong, where I play my 3rd hole of the golf course. Once again, another fantastic golf course, actually just one hole, and I get a 7.

After leaving Penong, I head another 80km west, this time stopping at Nundroo. Funnily enough, the people I played behind on the last hole are playing this one, so I join them for another whole, but on a 500 metre par 5, with not much clarity, I get a 9. It's funny playing on dodgy courses, with different clubs each time.

After the golf, I head to the coast, to a place called Fowlers Bay. Apparently the town has 13 people in it, but I saw only 2, one in the shop, and one fishing off the pier. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any accommodation, so I had to head back to Nundroo. In between, I did a little surf fishing, this time to no success. but the beautiful thing is that I saw a sea-lion eating all the fish I was trying to catch, all from about 20 metres away.

So I headed back to Nundroo, and found out that the Lions/Pies game was going to be on TV. I shouldn't have bothered. Like last week, we went to sleep after 1/2 time. When are we playing Richmond????

Day 085 - And on to the Nullarbor
Having recovered from the night before, with Collingwood losing again, I jumped in the car and continued west. Without stopping, as there was nothing to see, I drove all the way to the town of Nullarbor. When I say town, I mean roadhouse. I played the 5th hole, almost got a par on a par 5, with a 150 metre fifth shot that got within inches. Oh, and lost a ball, as the crows here love to grab them in mid-flight.

I then headed out to the Murrawinigie Caves, some 10km off the beaten track. With all the rain we've had over the last few days, it was more of a swim than a drive, I was afraid a number of times that the car was get bogged, crazy man that I am.

After that, I headed to the "Head of Bight", to see if I could find a whale. I managed to see 2 whales, a mother and child, and watched that for about 2 hours. Unfortunately, they were about a km away, so the photo doesn't do justice.





No comments:

Post a Comment