Saturday, March 20, 2010

Days 12 to 14 - Swan Hill to Hopetoun....with a whole lot inbetween

Hi everyone, I hope you're well. Me, I've had a mixture of relaxing and enjoyable times, along with some not so nice times.

The good stuff first. I drove from Swan Hill to Mildura, one to see Mildura, but mainly to catch up with some old friends, the Isaacs. Originally this family lived across the road from me, back when I was a baby, then as joint Easter holidayers when they moved to Mildura, I hadn't seen the girls since I was about 15 years old. And funny, they're all still exactly the same as I remember them. It was so great to catch up with them, and hopefully will catch up again in a shorter time frame (did I say 23 years) than the last one.

The bad stuff. On my thoughts over the last year, I'd thought of the "top 5" places I'd like to see in this trip and one of them was Mungo National Park. And I guess I might have thought too much of it, as I was fairly dissappointed with it today.

Firstly, the Visitors Office was only open between 11:30 and 12, 30 minutes.
Secondly, my accommodation that I organised there wasn't organised, and I couldn't ask anyone about it, as I wasn't there between 11:30 and 12.
Thirdly, they weren't answering their phone (and no mobile reception).
Forthly, there's a 70 km circuit track to go and see all the sites, but it was closed off after about 15kms.
Lastly, it's all now restricted in where you can go, you can't actually go walking through the main tourist site.

So feeling let down, I only spent about 90 minutes there, after it took me about 2.5 hours to actually get there. And then I just decided to keep driving, so here I am, in a little town called Hopetoun. Hopefully my day is better tomorrow.


Me, Ray, Jenny and Sandra
Carolyn and me
Mungo - Walls of China


2 comments:

  1. Well mate, supposed there was going to be a let down somewhere along the journey... Get it out of the way early I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you're right. At least things are back to normal now.

    ReplyDelete