Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Days 10 and 11 - Cobram to Swan Hill

Hi Everyone,

Well, what's been happening since I last wrote? Well, I've travelled a bit, going from Cobram to Swan Hill, about 30 kilometres, stopping in Lake Charm for the night.

As you can see by the pictures below, I've caught a few fish, unfortunately the Murray Cod has still avoided me. But Perch, at least I think that's what they are, have come to my table. A couple of things of note in fishing in the country.

1. Locals don't know where to fish, I ask people, but they don't know.
2. There are no fishing charters in the country on the Murray, could be a retirement job me thinks.
3. They use anything as bait. The last bait I used was Coon cheese, recommended by not 1, but 3 different people. Did it work, no. Witchety Grubs worked today, but at $2 a grub, it's an expensive business.

What else did I get up to? In Swan Hill, I went to the Pioneer Settlement, which is like a small version of Sovereign Hill. I also took a steamer boat along the Murray, a lovely relaxing trip.

In Lake Charm, I put up a tent, the only one in this caravan park along the lake, so very busy. Had lots of swims in the lake, but only caught 2 fish.

So what's next. Catching up with family friends for the next 2 nights in Mildura, and then off to Munga National Park I hope. Then homeward bound by the next weekend, before setting off on the actual big trip. Stay tuned.

Mini "perch" fish in Lake CharmLarger "Perch" fish from the Murray at Swan Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment