Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 241 - Driving around the Alpine region

Hi folks, as you can see, we're back with the photos today. Not sure what happened yesterday, photos went missing again.
So, to fill in one of the final days, I decided to do a big round trip around the alpine region. This required me to drive about 220km, all in the mountains. So plenty of ups and downs, and I think my brakes are probably worn down a bit more now.
I started the day by driving up to Dinner Plain. What a lovely little town, that's not really a town. Whilst there, I decided to do a walk, to the Carmichael Falls. Even though I didn't get into the falls themselves, I still managed to get my feet pretty wet, thanks to all the rain of the past few days.
From there I headed up to Mt Hotham. IT's funny going to these places and there not being much snow, even though I did get to see some. The trip down the other side of Hotham was exciting, lots of going down hills. On the way down, I stopped to take a look/photo of Mt Buffalo, about 50km away. Oh, and there's some crazy people out there. On my way down Hotham, I passed about 10 people riding their push-bikes up hill.
I headed in to Bright for lunch, and also to make a bet on the Melbourne Cup. How did everyone else go? I managed to put $5 each way on the winner, so I doubled my money. Very happy there.
From there I drove to Mt Bogong, via Mt Beauty. And from there I headed to Falls Creek. I didn't know there was a big dam on top. Not tempted for a swim though, it was about 5 degrees up there. I also did another walk, going to see Wallace Hut. An old hut in the middle of no-where, used by people who get lost during the winter months I guess.
So I headed back from there, and ended up at Anglers Rest for a bit of fishing. Once again, the water was going crazy, so I didn't last long there.
So, 4.5 days to go. Tears are starting to happen......
Carmichael Falls


Mt Hotham snow

Wallace Hut



No comments:

Post a Comment